Using a Standard Bank credit or cheque card to pay for goods and services over the Internet is now more secure with our Secure Internet Shopping service.
This added security service is free to you and easy to set up. All you need to do is activate your card for Secure Internet Shopping service and you can start shopping online at participating merchants with the peace-of-mind you deserve.
To activate your card for Secure Internet Shopping, you will need to enter a few details and choose a PIN you'll enter when making online purchases.
Secure Internet Shopping from Standard Bank is in line with MasterCard and Visa's secure online shopping initiatives in the form of MasterCard SecureCode and Verified by Visa.
Merchants participating in Secure Internet Shopping service will accept payment with a Standard Bank card only if you have activated your card for the service. Note that you will not be able to use your card to shop online at participating merchants unless you have activated your card for the service.
Benefits of Secure Internet Shopping
- It guarantees your online shopping payments.
- It increases security because your card is activated and it is access controlled with a PIN that you choose.
- Once activates it ensures that nobody else can use your card details for shopping online.
How Secure Internet Shopping works
Once your card has been activated and you have selected your own secret username and PIN, you will automatically be prompted by us to enter your secret PIN, when paying for your goods or services at participating merchants. We will verify this and the transaction will be completed.
Your secret PIN should never be shared with anyone. It works in the same way as entering your PIN at an ATM.
About the activation process
When activating your card you will need to provide the following:
- Card number
- Card verification value, which is the last three numbers on the signature panel on the back of your card
- Expiry date
- Name embossed on the card
- Please enter your name exactly as it appears on your card (title, initials and surname) eg. Mr JM Smith.
- Personal identification in the form of the number that appears in either the identity document or passport which Standard Bank has on record from when you opened your card account.
- Enter a personal message that will appear when you are at the checkout point of a participating merchant and before you enter your PIN. See "Your personal message" for more about this.
- Choose and confirm a PIN. See "Your PIN" for more on this.
Your personal message
The phrase you enter may not exceed 30 characters and should be unique to you so that you can recognise it as yours. This gives you the assurance that your transaction is secure.
Do not enter your PIN if the message displayed is incorrect. Call 0861 201 311 (South Africa only) or +2711 2411311 (Mozambique and Namibia) immediately and report a possible attempted fraud.
Your Secure Internet Shopping PIN must have five digits. Here are some standards to consider when deciding on a PIN.
- It should not contain the same number repeated three consecutive times, for example, 11132.
- It should not be consecutive numbers, for example, 12345.
- It should not be the same as your ATM or Internet banking PINs.
Note that when checking out, you will be asked for your "Customer-selected PIN (CSP)". This is the PIN you chose when activating your card for Secure Internet Shopping.
Call 0861 201 311 (South Africa only) or +2711 2411311 (Mozambique and Namibia) immediately to report a possible attempted fraud.
For further information
Click here for answers to some questions you may have. Should you still have questions, call us on 0861 201 311 (South Africa only) or +27 11 241 1311, email us at email@example.com.
Click here to read the terms and conditions before you activate your card.